The Ground School
Ground School is the theoretical/classroom component of your flight training. It is called “ground school” since the other component is the actual flying which takes place in the sky. In order to get a particular pilot license, you need to successfully complete both the theoretical and practical components to earn your license. In a way, it’s similar to getting your driver’s license where you have to pass a written test and the practical test to earn your license.
Your very first ground school will likely be for a Private Pilot's License (PPL). Included in the course are the preparatory and practice materials for your Student Pilot Permit, Aviation Regulation Examination (PSTAR) and for your Private Pilot's License - Aeroplane (PPAER). You will also receive instructional material for your air exercises (the actual flying part) for free as part of the course. Once you have completed the preparatory materials to the required standard, you will receive a recommendation to take the written exams. The PSTAR is often done at your flight school. For the subsequent exams that often require specific appointments, feel free to contact our Flight Training (FT) Division for more information on exam sites.
Ground School at McGill Students' Flying Club
Ground school at McGill offers a cost-effective solution for delivering the elaborate theoretical materials in a flexible time format. Cost is often a prohibiting factor for young aspiring pilots, and our partnership with Harv's Air allows you to reach your goals at a lower cost. The industry-leading ground school experience offered by Harv's Air provides you a smooth experience in preparing for your exams. Those who have passed through their virtual ground school, including many of our current and former executives, have found much success in the actual written exams administered by Transport Canada. For more information, feel free to contact us using the sidebar or the CONTACT tab.
Currently, the GS Division offers ground school courses for the Recreational Pilot Permit (RPP), Private Pilot License (PPL), Commercial Pilot License (CPL), Instrument and Multi-engine Rating (INRAT), and Instructor's Rating (AIRAF/AIRAT). Conversion courses between Federal Aviation Administration-issued licenses and Tranport Canada-issued licenses are also available on request.
Foreign license conversion courses are currently not available directly, please contact us with the [FT] tag in your email title for more information.
Course Duration and Schedule
- Courses are self-paced with a 270-day access across multiple devices including PC, tablet, and mobile devices.
- Each course includes multiple components, covering both materials for the written exam and pre-lesson videos for the air exercises done in actual airplanes.
- Each course ends with a certificate for the completion of ground school courses and a letter of recommend from the supervising instructor when applicable.
- If the 270 days elapse before your ground school course is finished, your progress is saved, and you may return to the course at anytime using a course renewal offered at a lower price.
The cost of ground school varies depending on the license type, and their pre-discount prices can be found on Harv's Air's website linked in the sidebar.
Ground School Contacts
- For information on the ground school itself, please email us in the CONTACT tab with the [GS] tag in the title.
- For information on how the ground school integrates into your overall training, please email us in the CONTACT tab with the [FT] tag in the title.